This prestigious short story award is given annually in memory of Al Blanchard, co-chair of the first three New England Crime Bake Conferences, NEMWA president, and a member of Sisters in Crime.
The deadline for submissions is April 30th (no exceptions). The award will be presented at this year's New England Crime Bake, scheduled for November 12th-14th, in Dedham, Massachusetts (the winner is not required to attend).
- $100 cash award.
- Publication in Level Best Books' eighth Crime Fiction anthology (levelbestbooks.com).
- Admission to the Crime Bake Conference.
- Story must be a crime story by a New England author or with a New England setting.
- Story must be previously unpublished (in print or electronically).
- Story must not be more than 5,000 words in length.
- Story may include the following genres: mystery, thriller, suspense, caper, and horror. (Please, no torture/killing of children or animals.)
- Send your story as an attachment in Word format, double-spaced, to:
- Type "Al Blanchard Award" in subject line. (Without it, attachments will not be opened).
- Include your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address, as well as your story title and word count, in the main body of your e-mail.
- We will promptly acknowledge the receipt of your submission. Your entry will be coded to insure anonymity and be sent on to the judges. Therefore, your name should not appear anywhere in the attachment.
- There is no entry fee.
- Limit of two stories per person.
- Deadline for submission is April 30, 2010.
Please feel free to share this announcement with anyone you think might be interested in submitting a story.